Friday, January 10, 2014

Burger Tour: Honest Burgers

I have not posted about burgers in a while, but calm yourselves, for I have still been doing some serious burger sampling, quietly in the background.

I finally got around to checking out Honest Burgers, which was a long time coming, considering whenever I tell anyone what I'm doing, their first question is usually "What do you think of Honest?" (well, maybe second after asking if I've been to Byron, which reminds me of that episode of How I Met Your Mother when Marshall is hunting down his burger nirvana and someone suggests somewhere so obvious his response is "Want a great cup of coffee?" *looks around furtively and whispers* "Try Starbucks!"). Yeah, I've been to Byron.

Our first burger mission to Honest was thwarted by an extremely long waiting list (three hours or something ridiculous - this is your first tip: don't show up at 7:30pm on Thursday), but we persevered and went back a few weeks later. For your pleasure, burger lovers, my take on Honest Burgers:

Honest Burgers review

The setup
If you're going to check out Honest in a group, I recommend that you go early and put your name down for a table (they don't do advance bookings, quelle surprise) or try out the newest branch in King's Cross, which is at least three times as big as the Soho one I went to on my first visit, and much easier to get a table at. They also have a couple of new items on the menu not on offer at other branches, such as a starter of battered sausages.

The food
So what about the burgers? You have three patty options: beef, chicken, or vegetarian. There is a special beef burger which changes monthly, a basic beef burger, a cheese burger, and the Honest burger (cheese and bacon). Not being a fan of cheese on burgers (I know, I know), I went for the basic option:

I want you so bad.

One of the first things I love about Honest is that it is one of the best value proper burgers in London. A decent size burger (I would even go so far as to contend that Goldilocks would call it "just the right size"), topped with a sweet red onion relish, and a mound of fries, for £8. Can't beat that!

The fries are amazingly good - chunky, rustic, skin-on chips seasoned with rosemary salt. The portion is generous - I dare you to finish them. While your table will get plenty of ketchup and mayo, the chipotle mayo for an extra £1 is really good. 

The burger itself is now a serious contender for my favourite burger in London - let's get a better look:

You know you wanna.

The bun is toasted and glazed, and stands up well to squidging between fingers. The patty comes standard as perfectly rosy pink in the middle, and the onion relish is a really nice addition to pick up the sweetness as well. As one of my friends commented, the burger succeeds at tasting really "meaty", which sounds odd, but often burgers are over-charred on the outside or smothered in barbecue sauce to disguise poor quality meat. Honest uses excellent quality Ginger Pig beef, and it shows.

Those of you interested in the veggie option, I've tried it and really enjoyed it - the patty is basically a big cauliflower fritter that's spiced so it tastes like a chilli bite (my South Africans know what I'm talking about). It comes with a yummy coriander and cucumber yoghurt topping and is definitely worth a try. 

The verdict I loved Honest. I have been back since, and I will go again. And again. I think the prices are really good considering fries are included with all burgers, and I was really impressed with the Soho branch which, when they realised they had forgotten my basic burger amongst all the cheese burgers, resulting in a longer wait for me, then left it off the bill as a "sorry". Nice one, guys. 

Honest Burgers, Brixton, Camden, Soho, Portobello and King's Cross, http://honestburgers.co.uk/

PS. I know my photos are terrible! I'm working on it.











2 comments:

  1. I miss those homemade chili bites! Glad to hear us veggies are covered - I'd hate to miss out on all this London burger awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only been to one place so far that didn't have a veggie option (Dirty Burger, which I still have to write about). So you definitely won't be missing out :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow  <b>reberoodle</b> on Twitter