Wednesday, September 18, 2013

5 Reasons to look forward to winter

All hopes for an Indian summer dashed, the past week has been spent indoors or sprinting between tube station and bus stop, avoiding puddles and resolving to buy a more effective umbrella. It's not only wet, it's freezing. My breath was misting this morning.

WHAT IS THIS, LONDON?

In order to make myself feel better about the impending dark, damp, chilly months ahead, I've compiled a little list of my favourite things about winter up north:

1. Comfort food


You knew the first item would be food related, didn't you? Winter is an excellent excuse to drink lots of hot chocolate, make stews and soups, and mop up those stews and soups with delightfully starchy things like mash, bread and dumplings. No one will see our pudge until at least July!

2. Lots of new TV


All the best TV starts in autumn. Check out this selection from Stylist this week:



I'm particularly excited about a new season of Downton Abbey, and Dracula, premiering in October. Also, Season 6 of Made in Chelsea is on the way! Squee!

3. Winter clothes


I will regret saying this, come March 2014, but I'm pretty excited to whip out my coat and boots. I suppose it's fair to say I'm more excited about wearing my coat than needing to wear my coat. Since it's not quite cold enough for serious winter gear yet, all the stuff I'm lusting after in the shops will be on sale by the time I want to wear it. Score!

4. All the festive events


As part of the country-wide knuckling down for winter process, London seems to do its part by offering a staggering selection of fun events and activities in the run-up to Christmas. There's Oktoberfest in Kennington Park or Millwall Park, where entrance is free and there is a lederhosen shop (I kid you not, check out the website). 

I'm also excited about fireworks for Guy Fawkes at Alexandra Palace, in my own 'hood, including another German Bier Festival.

I didn't make it to Hyde Park's Winter Wonderland last year, so I'll definitely be heading there come Christmastime. Entry is free, although you'll need to fork out if you want to go on rides.

As part of my festive activity schedule this winter I will also be checking out Christmas at Kew, "an illuminated trail through [the] enchanting winter landscape" of Kew Gardens by night. There is also something called Santa's Woodland Grotto. I don't know what that is, but I want in.

And all this talk of festivities leads me to my final reason to look forward to winter:

5. CHRISTMAS! 


Mulled wine, sandwiches with stuffing, Christmas lights everywhere, hauling out the Christmas tunes playlist on Spotify, baking and decorating Christmas cookies, retrieving my unapologetically festive snowflake jumper - I'm looking forward to ALL of it. 

If this ridiculous photo of me clinking bouncy Santa does not make you laugh, you're dead inside.
Happy winter, everybody! What are your favourite wintry things?


1 comment:

  1. The winter season is really fun to look forward to and everything you listed will make winter more exciting, Becky! How are you there now? From the looks of it, you’re looking fine! Have you toured around London yet? If in the event that you want to, trust only reputable companies that offer touring services to make it worth every penny you spent. Thanks for sharing and good luck! :)

    Richard Page @ RDP Chauffeurs

    ReplyDelete

Follow  <b>reberoodle</b> on Twitter